The International Antarctic Institute (IAI) is a global consortium of universities and agencies that provide university-level education and conduct research in Antarctica.
The IAI offers international opportunities in Antarctic undergraduate and postgraduate multi-disciplinary education by sharing teaching resources between international partner universities. We are also developing new and innovative Antarctic courses and pathways between degrees to encourage student and staff mobility.
Malaysian IAI Student gained polar research experience in Svalbard, Norway
Muhammad Adlan Abdul Halim
From: Penang, Malaysia
Adlan participated in the 34th International Workshop and Joint Fieldwork Research at the Polish Polar Station in Hornsund, Svalbard, August 2011. This workshop is organised by Polish Academy of Sciences (PAN). Adlan worked closely with Malysian and Polish researchers from USM Polar Research Group, University of Wroclaw and National Antarctic Research Centre (NARC).
Svalbard is the archipelago in the northernmost Norway, in the midway between mainland Norway and the North Pole. As inside the Arctic Circle, Svalbard features an Arctic climate, and is the research area for many international cooperation on polar research. In addition, Svalbard is location for Baranowski station – the Polish Polar Station .
Baranowski station is operated by University of Wroclaw, Poland. During the 13-day workshop, Adlan and fellow researchers travelled among islands of Svalbard and visited the sampling sites and a few places near the Baranowski Station. They collected soil, sediment, and algae samples to study the composition, distribution, biochemical properties and genetic characteristics of Polar microorganisms for useful products in future. Other than fieldworks, they also improved cultural and scientific communication. Malaysian researchers presented the history, culture, and achievements of their country to the Polish Community while discussing the potential research collaboration for the future.
NEW: updates from students are available our NEW student blog!
- 6th March 20136th Malaysian International Seminar on Antarctica
- The 6th Malaysian International Seminar on Antarctica (MISA6 2013) orgaized by Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) and National Antarctic Research Centre (NARC) will be held at Parkroyal Penang Resort in Malaysia, 8-9 Oct, 2013. Students and researchers whom read more >
- 6th March 2013SCAR biology symposium
- XIth SCAR biology symposium will be held in Barcelona, Spain 15-19 July, 2013! This year the theme will be"Life in Antarctica: Boundaries and Gradients in a Changing Environment" Keep it in mind if you are planning to go!The early Registration close at read more >
- 6th March 2013'Strategic Science in Antarctica' Conference
- For Aussie and kiwi, the 'Strategic Science in Antarctica' Conference, to be held in Hobart from 24-28 June 2013 at the University of Tasmania It is not open for abstract and registration Abstracts are due by 8 April 2013 Please check the website for more read more >
- 14th September 2012Antarctic and Southern Ocean Internship 2013
- University of Tasmania together with CCAMLR and ACAP provides an fantastic opportunity for students taking an intership in CCAMLR. You could work closely with the top scientists and see how the decisions being made for the sustainability of living read more >
- 5th September 2012Council meeting mintues
- The record of IAI council meeting in Portland has already been uploaded on the website, please go to council ->minutes if you want to find it
- 6th March 2013IMAS master degree units
- The units offered by Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies this semester under the master degree of Antarctic Science : Advanced Phytoplankton Method Zooplankton in Southern Ocean
- 6th March 2013Geology of Tasmania
- A three-week field excursion in June 2013 discovering geology of Queensland and Tasmania, Australia. Offered by Hamilton College from the U.S.. Maximum enrollment: 1 Check details under our read more >